I can never resist a fragrant cinnamony apple pie hot out of the oven. I didn’t have one in a long while, but I had plenty of apples so I decided this was a good day for baking. Well, this time I wanted to try my luck with a gluten-free version, and I was super excited that the dough turned out great – not something to take for granted with gluten-free baking as I know from many failed experiments. So, this dough is fluffy and soft…perfect! Then comes a huge layer of sweet baked apples with cinnamon…yum! And finally, everything is topped by a crunchy layer of crumbles with a special ingredient: Coarsely ground whole hemp seeds. Not only do they add an extra crispness, but they also add nutritional value to the cake. Bottom line: Just my cup of tea, oops, I mean, my piece of cake!
Apple Crumble Cake with Crunchy Whole Hemp Seeds
- Cake tin or springform pan (26 cm / 10 inches)
- A grinder to grind the whole hemp seeds
- 1,5 kg apples
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 250 g brown rice flour
- 130 g starch e.g., cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1,5 tsps xanthan gum
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp stevia powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 200 g coconut sugar
- 100 g apple sauce
- 150 ml rapeseed oil or any other neutral oil
- 50 ml water
- 50 g whole hemp seeds
- Peel the apples, remove the cores and cut the apples into thin slices. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Mix all the dry dough ingredients. Add apple sauce, rapeseed oil and water to the dry ingredients and knead the dough well.
- Line the cake tin with baking parchment and layer it with two-thirds of the dough. Make sure to pat some dough up the sides.
- Distribute the apples slices evenly on the dough and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Coarsely grind the whole hemp seeds and mix up with the remaining dough to make the crumble topping. Sprinkle over apples in small chunks until completely covered.
- Bake the cake on the middle rack in a fan oven at 160° C (320° F) for about 40 to 45 minutes.
You might need to place the cake on the lower rack after 20 minutes if the top
gets too dark – so make sure to check regularly.