Here is a very simple and light Thai-inspired carrot salad. Carrots pair really well with roasted sesame oil and lime juice. But adding Thai basil really takes this salad to the next level.
I love eating it as a main dish on a hot summer day. If you want something more substantial, I recommend serving the salad with falafel or a couple of slices of a light bread.
I’m craving this dish in winter as well, especially during the holiday season when irresistible sweets and desserts are ubiquitous. After having many treats I long for something fresh and hearty. On days like these, I like serving the carrot salad as a side along with a warm main meal such as a curry.
Carrot Salad with Thai Basil, Lime, and Roasted Sesame Oil
- 750 g carrots
- 2-3 big sprigs of Thai basil about 20 g
- 60-100 ml lime juice about 1 small lime
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon native sesame oil
- Cut off the ends of the carrots, peel the carrots and grate them coarsely. I used a food processor, but a kitchen grater works fine too.
- Wash the Thai basil, discard the sprigs and use only the leaves. Chop the leaves coarsely.
- Mix the grated carrots with the remaining ingredients and season the salad with salt and pepper according to your taste.