I'm literally sipping on this glorious summer smoothie as I'm typing this post. This year we've been blessed with great, uber-sweet watermelons all throughout the summer months, so I've indulged in all things watermelon. Curiously, peppermint and watermelon are a perfect combo. I'm amazed time and again how well the sweetness of watermelon matches the freshness and the revitalising tanginess of peppermint. Add in some lime juice, and there you have your pefect, refreshing, cooling drink. Just three ingredients, but what a harmony of flavors!
If you're more up to something creamier, then throw some bananas into your watermelon smoothie. You'll get more of a satiating drink, a little meal in itself. Pure, creamy, sweet deliciousness!
Accidentally (Oops!) I found out that the creamier version with bananas makes a great cocktail base. Mixed with white rum, the smoothie turns into a rich, wickedly delicious, and sweeter than sweet cocktail that will make you dream of tropical islands in the sun, palms and hammocks.
Watermelon Smoothie with Peppermint and Lime (Makes also a Great Cocktail with White Rum)
- Generous handful of peppermint leaves 2-3 big sprigs of peppermint
- 1 kg watermelon pieces deseeded and without the rind
- 200 ml water
- Juice of ½ lime or lemon
- 2-3 large bananas optional
- White rum optional
- Clean the peppermint leaves.
- Add the water, the watermelon pieces, the lime juice and the peppermint leaves to your blender and mix on high speed until smooth. You might experience that not all of the watermelon pieces fit in at once; if that happens, start off by blending half of the watermelon pieces and adding the rest bit by bit.
- If you're using bananas, peel them and add them to the blender too.
- If you're making a cocktail, add in white rum to your taste.