Even in bigger organic stores in Germany it is still difficult to find plant-based cream cheese, so I looked for ways to create it at home. And voila, it is really easy, all you need is vegan yogurt and a sieve, and maybe a little patience since you need to strain the yogurt over night. That's all! If you want the strained yogurt to be creamier and richer, you can add some oil and you'll be surprised how much it resembles the non-vegan version.
The possibilities for the thus obtained cream cheese are endless; I love using it for dips and spreads, such as my wild garlic cream cheese. But you can also use it in sweet treats, or as base for your breakfast bowl.
Easy-Peasy Vegan Cream Cheese Made of Yogurt
- 800 g plain soy yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons oil Ideally, neutral-tasting
- Put the yogurt in a fine sieve and place the sieve over a bowl.I have a very fine sieve and don’t need to use any cheesecloth, but if your sieve is not fine enough, you might want to line it with muslin, a thin dish towel, cheesecloth or a paper towel.
- Strain the yogurt over night in the fridge. After 10-12 hours, the cream cheese should be ready, but you can strain the yogurt for up to 48 hours. The longer you’ll strain it, the denser and thicker the texture will be.
- Scoop out the obtained cream cheese from the sieve in a bowl.You should have about 600 g of cream cheese and 200 ml of liquid (after draining for 8-12 hours).
- Mix in 2-3 tablespoons of your preferred oil.I suggest to use a neutral tasting oil if you’re going to use the cream cheese for sweet dishes.