This tropical rhubarb compote will delight you on a bright, sunny spring day, and it will lift up your spirits when it’s grey and gloomy outside.
Either way, let your taste buds take you on a journey to islands in the sun with this dessert that features all the sweet flavors of exotic fruits and spices such as pineapples, oranges, cinnamon, bananas, and coconut blossom sugar.
It is perfectly sweet from the pineapple juice, bananas and coconut blossom sugar, and brilliantly complemented by the fine sour taste of rhubarb. Sprinkle chopped almonds on top and there you have your light and lush treat.
Tropical Rhubarb Compote with Oranges, Bananas, Cinnamon and Pineapple Juice
- 300 g rhubarb
- 400 ml pineapple juice
- 2 very ripe spotty bananas
- 3 teaspoons coconut blossom sugar
- 1 orange zest and fruit
- 1 scant teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 banana
- Handful of chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon coconut blossom sugar
- Wash the rhubarb, cut off the ends, and peel the stalks. Cut the stalks into pieces.
- Peel the two ripe bananas, and blend them together with the pineapple juice, 3 teaspoons of coconut blossom sugar, orange zest and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- In a pot, bring the liquid to a boil and lower the heat. Add the rhubarb pieces and cook on very low heat for about 10 minutes until the rhubarb starts getting soft. Stir frequently, as the liquid has a tendency to boil over.
- Peel the orange and cut it into pieces (remove any seeds). Add the orange pieces to the compote for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking (they shouldn’t turn mushy).
- Leave to cool and fill in cups.
- Decorate with banana pieces, chopped almonds, and coconut blossom sugar.
You can add pineapple pieces to the compote, they go well.