Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables, I love its delicate taste that goes well with savory and sweet dishes. Oven-roasted cauliflower, raw cauliflower, steamed cauliflower, deep-fried cauliflower, cauliflower rice, cauliflower mac and cheese, cauliflower steaks, cauliflower cheese cake…oh, I think you get the point. And now I discovered that cauliflower makes a great cream soup base, especially when paired with potatoes, and in particular sweet potatoes, which emphasize the mild sweetness of cauliflower.
This soup is perfect even for a hectic weekday evening because soup-making doesn’t get easier than this: Chop the veggie, cook them in water until soft, and then puree everything. That is, in next to no time your creamy yummy soup is ready.
That leaves only the pesto, which you can put together in a couple of minutes. The cauliflower soup is tasty on its own already, but the pesto sprinkled on top takes it to a whole new level.
Cream of cauliflower soup with parsley hemp seed pesto
- 1 big cauliflower
- 6 small potatoes (approximately 400 g unpeeled)
- 1 big sweet potato (approximately 250 g unpeeled)
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 liters of water
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 3 Tbsp mild olive oil (or any other mild or neutral tasting oil)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp rice syrup
- 2 tsp hulled hemp seeds
- To make the soup, wash the cauliflower, discard the leaves, and cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Peel the potatoes, the sweet potato, and the onion. Chop everything.
- Bring the water to a boil, add the vegetables, and let simmer on low to medium heat until everything is cooked through. Add salt and pepper and puree the soup using an immersion blender. Once the soup is nice and creamy, taste test it and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- To make the pesto, mince the parsley and mix in the remaining pesto ingredients.
- Serve the soup with tiny heaps of pesto sprinkled on top.